Friday, May 31, 2013

'Painting From Photos'



I’ll be the first to admit that I am no photographer.  That said, I take tons of photos when I travel locally or abroad, and have painted, and continue to paint, from many of them. Nonetheless, I often ask others if they would allow me to paint one of their photos that catches
 
my eye.  More often than not, they say it is fine.  Some even say they would be honored, which absolutely thrills me!  I image that other artists feel the quite the same.

A few months back, as I was perusing photos on the internet,  I ran across a talented professional landscape photographer from the Washington, D.C. area, Navin Sarma, that was very impressive. He was kind to allow me to paint one of his beautiful photographs from a trip to Olympia National Park in Washington State.  My painting from his photo of “Shi-Shi Beach Life” now graces the front page of my website. 

The painting below was inspired by a photo taken by a friend of a friend, Lynette Aldridge from the Atlanta, GA  area.  Her husband is originally from Brazil, South America, where they travel from time to time to visit family.  After seeing some of the photos that Lynette posted on Facebook, I asked if she would allow me to paint this particular beach scene.  She said it would be fine. 


'Bazilian Beach'
11x14" Oil on Canvas Board
Photo by: Lynette Aldridge
 

Just yesterday another friend posted a beautiful waterfall in Blue Ridge, GA that I would also love to paint in oils.  Asked and agreed.  So stay tuned, and I will post that one soon.  Translated, that means as soon as I can focus on it.  I have a long list of friend’s photos that I also love, and look forward to laying out on canvas.

Please keep in mind, if you ever plan to paint from a photograph, you should never do so without express permission.  There are very strong copyright laws that protect photographic works of individuals from being copied, painted, or otherwise reproduced.

Have a great day…and keep your brush wet and moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Freshen Up

 My art studio is in a small room upstairs in my townhouse.  I have to make room for new paintings, so I have launched a Studio Clearance Sa...